Thursday, March 16, 2006

So Many Little Things

Updates on several fronts:

THE LAW SCHOOL GAME IS WINDING DOWN
Finally! What a crazy mind fuck of a process! I have spent almost an entire year on LSAT prep, applications, waiting for decisions, visiting schools and evaluating offers. In three months, I'll be a 1L. After much careful deliberation, I have decided to matriculate (such a big lawyer word, huh?) at Cardozo School of Law, the law school of Yeshiva University, in NYC. It was a school I fell in love with the moment I visited and it was the school by which all of the others ended up being measured. I love that it's a young and dynamic place. Kind of like me. I love that it's in Greenwich Village. I love that the faculty is packed with young stars; I'm anxious to learn from them. I love that I'm about to start a journey so different from everything I have ever known. And I love all the things they have done to show how much they want me. Unless Columbia or UCLA come knocking, I've been waitlisted at both schools and would drop everything to attend either, you can find me at the corner of 12th St and 5th Ave for the next three years.

Time for a bit of reflection. In the past couple of weeks, I have been asking friends and myself, "So, I really have to go through with this, right?" While I find change exhilarating, it scares the hell out of me. The excitement is topped off with doubt, anxiety and fear. Now I am not a religious or particularly spiritual person, but I know that this is the right decision for me and I know that something has been plotted out for me that has led me to this place at this time. I know in my heart of hearts that this is true. That belief doesn't make this transition easier and it doesn't make the fear subside. So hear I am, hurtling towards school with no hope or time to look back. Oh, by the way, did I mention that I'm going to LAW SCHOOL. YAY!

MY NEW PAL
I love the word pal. It's an endearing word implying a casualness and care free relationship. There is something informal and easy about the word, but it also includes a kind of closeness. Kids are pals. Gay boys and their straight girlfriends are pals. Two adult men in a sexual relationship, no matter how casual are not pals. Or so I have learned. There is a man in my life, someone I have known for a while. He said we were dating, I said we were pals. Synge told me that I made a faux pas, si I apologized. I will refer to him from now on as DH for reasons only he and I will ever know. I'm kind of crazy about him, so this surely means I'll be getting into school in Los Angeles anyday. Because life just loves to fuck with me like that.

I SAW THIS TRAILER
Went to see Art School Confidential. If you were in any sort of fine art program, you'll recognize all of the types. But before the movie we saw the trailer for Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette. Turn your speakers on and watch it. I think the combining of the modern elements, New Order's Age of Consent, with the period French scenes is fantastic.

THIS SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME
This documentary was turned into a very popular musical recently. The movie is legendary but was only just released on DVD. I don't know what's more frigtening, the film itself or Todd Oldham and John Bartlett talking about Little Edie as a style icon. Watching a car wreck indeed!

1 Comments:

Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

he is sooo not your PAL, mah...i'm glad you're finally admitting that!

and so fucking ELATED about cordoza....yes, mostly because it means i won't lose you here in ny, but also because i didn't hear you speak about the other schools in anywhere near the same way.

YAY!!!

gotta go leave for chanteuse's bachelorette party, but just wanted to leave a quick word before i go.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home