Thursday, January 20, 2005

The one about the coronation (or thoughts on the end of the world)

A coronation is defined as the act or ceremony of crowning a sovereign or the sovreign's consort. Though we are told that we live in a democracy and that freedom is valued above all else, there is a coronation happening in Washington D.C. today, or, as I like to call it, a forty million dollar pep rally, for the man who will leave his mark on history, if there are even people around to study history, as the person who began the tangible destruction of the world.

Now, I'm not really a political person, I guess becuase I consider myself a pretty normal person and I think most people share the same core values and beliefs I do. We're all people after all, right? Well, this is a naive and limited world view I am afraid. Today, I cannot think of one person I know whose life is not touched in some way by the policies and views of the monster sitting in the White House. Now, he would have you believe that he's just a good old Texas boy who loves his country and the people who live in it. This is a lie and it is truly frightening. This administration has systematically attacked the rights of women, gays and lesbians, the elderly, children, immigrants, and even the military. No one is safe. And it's not the big bad terrorists we have to fear in the near future. It is our government. Wait, are these two enemies just one in the same?

There is a fascinating article in this week's Village Voice http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0503,perlstein,60130,6.html that talks about, among other things, how Bush's proposed overhaul of Social Security will give the government carte blanche in a host of other areas, and anyone who voices dissent will be accused of harming your retirement fund. Does this scare you? It should. Oh, dear reader there are so many things to be afraid of now.

The next time someone tells you how wonderful Bush II is, ask them if they are willing to send their father, their husband, their brother to Iraq to fight this war. How much safer will you feel, with your loved ones there? But I propose something different. Rather than having his daughters parade around Washington in designer gowns, or posing in Vanity Fair, why doesn't W send his daughters to Baghdad. While I'm sure they are needed in the D.C. school system, I think we need them more in Iraq. Don't you agree? Wouldn't that be the ultimate statement of support for this war and their father's policies? Send them over there if this battle is so important.

In the meantime, enjoy coronation day. Now remind me again, what did they do while the Titanic was sinking? Oh right, they played music and danced.

5 Comments:

Blogger Roxanne said...

Good blog entry! You know I agree with you. I was completely shocked that monkey boy won. He disgusts me, terrifies me and embarrasses me.

8:22 AM  
Blogger MAH said...

Thanks Vixanne. I have never felt more helpless. This is a truly scary time to be alive. Also, wanted to give a shout out to Synge who is at the coronation today and participating in a New Orleans funeral march for the death of the Bill of Rights (is that correct Synge?) Anyway, we're with you in spirit. And please don't get arrested.

mah

8:28 AM  
Blogger MAH said...

Oh my gosh. Kristoise published a comment on my blog. Seriously, I bow down at your feet and thank you. I was wondering why you hadn't posted here. I just assumed you weren't watching Project Runway...yet.

mah

8:58 AM  
Blogger CHANTEUSE said...

i throughly agree with you MAH, i am scared, very scared, for our country. and ironically enough, it is fear that got us into this situation in the first place- the sheep-like fear of the american public, planted in them by our power-tripping conservative government and their media lackeys. as americans today we are taught to be afraid of everything, of everyone, of anything that is not "normal" or "predictable", or "traditional" as defined by i-don't-know-who's book of ancient out-of date rules. different thoughts are dangerous, they are not what we know, what we've tried, so they must not be right. women shouldn't try to rise out of their place or stand up for their rights- if they do they're just "trouble-makers". the gay community is clearly trying to corrupt the good god-fearing masses with their depraved lifestyle- imagine, they want the right to legally declare a commitment! the military and their duties must be kept in the dark or it would be "dangerous" for us all. knowing the truth about anything would clearly just put us all in danger. it's better that we just keep our mouths shut and take what is given to us, believe what we're told, don't rock the boat or we might be putting ourselves and our families in danger. that terribly FRIGHTENING advice is what our government is feeding us- don't question, don't challenge, trust us, we know what is best for you, even if it looks like we don't. and 54% of america believes it, because they are too scared to think for themselves. it makes me sad and it makes me sick and it makes me angry that so many americans are so willing to turn off their brains and hand them over to such an obviously self-centered administration. how did we become such lazy cowards? good luck to Synge- may her constitutional rights not be waived today for the convenience of the president.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Fortunately or unfortunately, I really don't think that the majority of people who voted for George Bush did so because they agreed with him on all of his troubling viewpoints. I think the majority did so out of ignorance. Many people simply do not care to educate themselves.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home